Friday, May 6, 2011

Day Six...

Late night run today...  Was going to head out at 7:00 but Evie wanted to snuggle and she doesn't do that too often anymore so I took advantage.  So out the door I went at 8:50pm.

Good run - felt really old at the start - knees didn't feel like they were working, but once I got moving it felt pretty good.  Am I starting to enjoy this?!?

In the thirty or so minutes and 2.3 miles my thoughts were racing... 

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful community of people that support Evie.  She has wonderful teachers who work very hard to adapt any difficult tasks for her - even having the entire class adapt too.  She has an entire group of kids, instructors and parents in her TaeKwonDo school and dance class who celebrate her achievements with us and assist her in any way they can.  We have wonderful friends (including co-workers) who have been more than supportive and been there at every turn.  

Because of this, we really don't feel like she is "different."  She is very smart so I wonder if she thinks she is different.  She is the only kid in her class who has therapists that visit her at school; She is the only kid who wears a brace; She points out when she uses "righty" so she knows it is difficult and an achievement. 

So... how and when do I discuss this with her?  Will she ask?  Will she be sad? Mad?  Will she handle it with grace? Or will it be a life-long struggle?  Will she get tired of people asking her about it?  Or will she embrace it with ease?

This is not a "poor me" moment.  I don't feel sorry for us.  We are very lucky people.  We were meant to be  -- me her mom and she my "love bug."  But these are real worries and concerns of mine and sometimes I can't shut off this voice in my head. 

I want to do the "right" thing and sometimes I am at a complete loss... 

So I'm just going to go snuggle my love bug and worry about this another day.  Thanks for listening.

~Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment