Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 17

S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D tonight.  Evie was not in the mood - she complained of a headache all day - so it was just me.  I got a lot of feedback from my runner friends - thanks guys!  I think I will go get fitted for some new running shoes this weekend.  Until then- I am going to stretch and maybe do some yoga for my streak so that my joints will heal.  And thanks to Jess for her always insightful and honest views on Evie - you are such a great example for her!

Evie is picking up her new orthotic tomorrow.  She has to wear a brace during the day and a brace at night.  The day brace is designed to prevent "toe drop" and keep her achilles stretched - a lot of kids like her have to eventually have heel cord lengthening surgery - which we have been told is very painful - so we are doing our best to prevent that.  The night brace will just keep her positioned well and stretched throughout the night... 

It is always a difficult balance I face.  There are days she doesn't want to stretch (like last night) there are days she doesn't want to wear her brace and although she hasn't said it yet, I imagine there will be a day she doesn't want to have therapy.  I have spoken to many moms about it - how much do we force our kids to gain abilities on their weak side when they can do everything - in a different way - with the "good" side.  There are programs where they cast the "good" arm forcing a child to use their weak arm in the hopes of rewiring the brain.  But, what affect does that have on their self-esteem when they suddenly can't pull up their pants - which they could do the day before....  I'm not sure.  I do know that making her feel like she needs "fixed" is not the answer. 

So... what is best?  Working hard to maybe "lessen" her disability by giving her some use of her affected side or letting her learn how to navigate in a world with just the abilities she has?

I  know that quitting therapy is not an option for me.  I see improvement everyday with her therapies so I believe it is beneficial.  Will it give her full use of her weak side?  Probably not.  Will it give her enough use to help her navigate in her world?  Absolutely. 

The other reason it isn't an option is selfish on my part.  I would rather "make" her do her therapy and wear her braces, see all these doctors now and do all I can then face a 20 year old Evie who is mad at hell at me for not doing more. 

I promised Evie long ago I would do everything in my power to help her and that is one "streak" I have never broken....

~Jana

2 comments:

  1. I had to wear day and night braces too. The worst part was that my night braces were thigh-high, and I'd have to ask to be "de-braced" just to use the restroom. Also I sleep on my side, and it was hard to get comfortable in the braces. I hated the night braces; I'll be honest.

    There were days I didn't want to stretch, too. My mom would always just tell me, "No pain, no gain." We never really talked about why I had to stretch, or go to therapy, or wear the braces, but she would try to find ways to make things fun when I complained, lke helping me pick out a cute pair of tennis shoes after I got my first brace. Sometimes, she would give me little rewards if I got things done (or bribes, if you want to call them that) like you might for any kid who just doesn't want to do something they need to do. Small things like the occasional ice cream after therapy, or a new book I wanted if I stretched every day for 20 minutes for two weeks straight... nothing extravagant.

    There will be times when Evie wonders why she is different and days she hates having to do some things a litle differently... but all you can do is tell her that she is amazing just the way she is.

    Also, I've had the cord lengthening surgery you speak of-- worst pain in my life--and that is no exaggeration. Out of the 17 surgeries I've had... it was the worst... so whatever you can do to prevent that... keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - it's time for me to chime in and give some unsolicited advice....take it or leave it! ha! :) As a PT and a fellow runner, I think you are starting this running adventure with a bit too much gusto. I am afraid you are moving toward an injury if you are not careful. BUT I am happy to read you have recently been taking some breaks and resting your body :) As a PT I would never encourage a patient to continue down this path of aching and pain... and as a runner I would definitely listen to my body. There isn't a training program out there that encourages you to run daily with no rest. I admire your motivation for your daughter - that is so awesome...but your daughter needs you to be able to walk across the floor too. :)

    Like I said - unsolicited advice but I couldn't sit back and continue to see you hurting and not offer any suggestions/opinions. So...have you tried biking? Put her in a seat or trailer pulled behind and you both can hit the road together. I do that on the "off" days from running. I bet your daughter will have a BLAST!!.

    Anyway - happy running (and resting). Let me know if you have any questions.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete