Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 16...

Folks - its not going well at all.  My knees and ankles are killing me and I can barely walk let alone run.  I am living on ibuprofen.  I have no idea what the heck I did.  I am not an athlete by any means, but I have always been able to engage in physcial activity with no problem.  I hate saying this out loud but.... am I getting OLD?!? 

Enough of the sob story - I am sure there are days that Evie hurts like heck but keeps going.  I often wonder if she is in pain every day or what her affected side feels like.  I have heard from some older kids that it feels like your limb is "asleep" all the time.  Whatever it feels like, you wouldn't know it by meeting her.  She is the happiest girl in the world most days and she is always finding something fun to do. 

So... what did I do for Day 16?  I stretched for 30 minutes.  Stretching is very important for Evie, so her and I sat in bed and stretched our legs and heel cords and arms....  I feel like a failure - from running to walking to yoga and now stretching?!?  I have to get back out there.
Day 17 may entail a trip to the Doctor....

~Jana

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Maybe it is the shoes. The stretching is good for you. I am in the same boat. Been in PT for three months due to an IT band injury from running. Just take it slow and listen to your body. It you don't, you will make it worse. Walking is good too. Just do that for a while and let yourself heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jana. Sorry you're in pain. I too wonder how our kids feel on their affected side. I've asked my son, but he just shrugs. His stroke happened at birth, so I guess he doesn't know any different.

    I know you want to do this for Evie (and yourself), however she does need you to stay healthy. The stretching sounds so nice. I'm sure Evie LOVED that time with you. I don't believe anyone will think of you as a failure. You shouldn't either.

    Your blog is great. Don't get discouraged. Do what you can and be happy knowing you "streak" everyday for Evie - no matter what the activity, because that's what moms do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to do stretches with me a lot when I was Evie's age and untiil I was a teenager. I actually have good bonding memories of the two of us exercising together.

    In relation to loss of sensation on her affected side, there's probably some truth to that. Even though I am diaplegic, my left side is more affected than my right and I definitely don't "feel" things as well on that side. The only pain I've ever noticed has come as I've gotten older and my body/muscles/joints have aged. Staying active will definitely help combat that.

    Hang in there! Hope you feel like running soon!

    ReplyDelete